Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Internet -- is it a positive or negative develpment??

(here's my answer to the question when posed by a friend...)

Like anything in life, there are pro's and con's and moderation is healthy:). But for me the pro's for the most part really outweigh the con's. Facebook for example. I once listened to a father talk about how he will not allow his daughter to be on facebook as some child he heard of committed suicide after comments sent to her on her facebook page. I think kids will be cruel regardless of the most popular mode of communication and the full picture of what pushes a kid to commit suicide is very complex and multifaceted. Personally, Facebook has helped me to reconnect with hundreds of dear friends from the past 30 years of my life. It is a simple tool that gives me instant access to photo's and stories from their present lives - ALL around the world!! As a result, the world -- in all it's diversity -- has become smaller and more accessible, and yet that only makes me want to explore more of it!!!!
http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/images/mosaic_lowerres_RGB.jpg

No comments: