Saturday, August 1, 2009

Tidbits from my emails... (while in India May'09)


Some people in Kodai have big resevoirs for the rains that they are able to use for much of the rest of the year!


Well, the monsoon rains are just starting, so we've had some heavy rain most afternoons, but when the sun is out the weather is BEAUTIFUL!! Combo of sun, humidity, hiking up and down the mountainsides and the elevation (7000 feet) each time I walk across town I literally drip puddles of sweat!!


I've definitly gotten a kick out of bargaining for fruits in the market and one of the students (Yuki) who speaks Tamil came with me to buy a couple sari's for graduation and such. The shopkeeper who sold me my carpet still remembers me too:).
I had to go to the bank to change some money yesterday and was wishing I had the nerve to take out my camera and record the event!! I went to the bank that I'd done most of my dorm banking at, where they have computer's, but most of the banking is still done on papers and there are books and papers stacked all over the place. All the signs were in Tamil, so I walked up to the man sitting in the middle section of the counter, explained to him that I wanted to buy rupees with my US$, he directed me to the man sitting next to him, who handed me a form to fill out. I did so, grateful I'd brought my passport with me and handed the paper's back to him, he joted down a few other things, counted my money a few times, used his little calculator to do the conversion math and passed the papers back to the guy sitting in the middle. I stood there for some time, waiting for the guy to finish with some other papers he was taking out of the top of the drawer next to him that was stuffed to overflowing with random pieces of paper. He double checked the other man's math and then handed me back my pastport and the copy of the form I'd filled out. He instructed me to go to either of the cashiers, but not to wait in line and get my rupee's from them. The cashiers sit in these wire cages with multiple locks on them and only little slots to fit a hand and some papers through. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable using them to keep my life savings for me!!
It's been fun visiting my favorite restaurants in town, some things have lived up to my memories, other things not so much:). Dosa at hilltop veg and the tandori chicken at the place above Sunshine arts have been my favorites!
The view from the porch where I stayed. I'd watch this view as I drank my tea each morning!
Well, I'm starting to get used to sleeping on the hard beds again:). I don't think I'll ever get used to the honking horns though... it's high tourist season here in Kodai this month and the traffic is CONSIDERABLY worse than I've ever seen it before!!

No comments: