Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sickness and Health

This last week has been a busy one. Saturday evening one of the girls was starting to get sick. Around 1am she suddenly got worse and I ended up taking her to the hospital nearby. I stayed with her through early afternoon on Sunday and then other's were able to take turns staying with her till she was discharged on Tues morning. She's still recuperating, but doing much better. Throughout the whole experience we were amazed at God's protection and provision. The clinic we go to is run by Mr Dr and Mrs Dr Jain. Originally from India, they have lived in Zambia for over 30 years. They have their own little 6 bed hospital next to their home and are only a short drive away. We've been blessed with such close access to great care! It was interesting to see health care from "the other side" - especially in place where family is so involved in patient care.

Today I accompanied two other girls for visits to the clinic to be tested for malaria. Both had started having symptoms today, and were started on medications right away. When caught early, the worst of the symptoms should be avoidable, though it will still take them at least a few days to fully recuperate. Thankfully neither had to be admitted!
Monday and Tuesday I was at Zimba hospital with eight of the students. I always enjoy spending time in the hospital settings here, but am often reminded of all that we take for granted in the US. There was a patient this last week in a severe condition that, though likely still terminal, would have required intubation and mechanical ventilation to survive longer. The Dr we were working with informed us that the closest ventilator was a five hour drive away. Just a few beds away though, that same afternoon, was a young man who had come in with difficulty breathing. We helped administer breathing treatments, started his IV and were able to give medications. By the next afternoon, he was walking around the hospital, fully recovered. It was encouraging to be reminded of the good that WAS possible within the limitations.

Now that I have returned to Zimba three weeks in a row, there are some patients that recognize me. My favorite is probably this young 6 year old girl who is waiting for the visiting surgeons who are coming next week. Her smile lights up her whole face! Each group of students has enjoyed talking to her and coloring pictures with her on their notepads. One afternoon this past week, two of the students and myself were sitting outside the pediatric ward with her on this bench for a while, attempting in vain to stay cool:). One of the students commented how she just enjoys BEING with us - the enjoyment was mutual.
The photos above are from one of the villages we drove through. I was sitting in the bus when I took them:). The driver had stopped to buy some potatoes.
The photo above is of two cooking stoves at the place we stayed in Chikankata. When the electricity is out, they use these to prepare food over wood fires.

Well, I'm in the living room to get better Internet access... but the mosquito's are dive bombing me, so I'll quit for now and head to my room for the rest of the evening... maybe I'll escape them under my mosquito net!!
How has YOUR week been?? I've enjoyed writing blog posts - being able to add photo's for all to see, but I sure miss all the emails about what's going on in YOUR lives!!! Thanks though for your many prayers!! I feel their impact!

2 comments:

Barbara Ihrke said...

Lisa, so good to read your blog. We are working hard on the self-study documents, organizing the visit and all the other regular activities of a School of Nursing.
I had a pedicure done these evening - that is my big news :). It is Friday evening and quite cool - maybe flurries tomorrow.
I can hardly wait to hear all that God is doing. Can you send pictures back with Rob? We need them in jpeg format for a project we are working on for accrediation.
Take care - great the team. Barbara

Unknown said...

Lisa, thanks for sharing your experiences in Zambia and providing such great care for the 16 students. We have had 2 days of constant rain and cold weather which is unusual for October in DC. Oct. 15th was the coldest on record for this area. Life at WHI is busy and my office is getting ready for an accredidation process for short-term mission agencies.